Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Jolly!

Happy Holidomes, y'all!
I hope The Season finds you happy and healthy, loving and upbeat, and not all sad, self-pitying and face down in a pool of your own vomit.

I truly do, because Christmas/ this time of year has become one big nasty melee of obese consumerism, and I don't know about you, but as I have run around attempting to find that absolutely perfect gift for each of my loved ones I have noticed the following:

#1-- By GOD, there's a lot of inane shit for the buying (and land-filling) out there;
#2-- People SUCK. Not all of 'em, mind you... just a great many.

But I'm in the Spirit! And so are the hobos. Here we have a real tree which, as I understand, a couple homeless guys put up every year and festoon with found beer and soda cans.



I was told they do it every year by a dude who works at my neighborhood liquor place. I'll take his word for it, as I've only lived here in Logan Square for a year or so, but never noticed if it was up last year. I LIKE IT!




When I took these pictures on my lil' cell phone, the dudes were just putting finishing touches on their handiwork. I promised myself that when I was on my way back from the liquor store I'd give them each $5 to take a picture of them with their tree.

They were nowhere around when I passed back by. Like, within 3 minutes they had vaporized, and only this lonely holiday hobo relic was testament of their existence. POOF! Magic homeless guys!

Be well and keep warm, magic hobos... and may you come across large, abandoned bank-notes and bottles of Christian Brothers for evermore. PEACE!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A truly happy and healthy Christmas and New Year for you and your loved ones Lorelei.

12/25/2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

YAY!! The beer can Christmas tree!!
MERRY MERRY MERRY TO YOU, WOMAN!!!

We are warmly home, have eaten leftovers and cookies and I'm halfway through a book of Greek Mythology.

My fave line from the book thus far:

'While the battle raged, Aphrodite hid in a linen closet.'

Oh so classic-al.

12/25/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home